40+ FREE Online AI Courses for Everyone
If you’re excited about all things Artificial Intelligence then you’ll love your guide to the 40+ best free online AI courses covering everything from “What is AI?” to ChatGPT, Midjourney, Python for AI, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, AI Ethics and more!
If you’ve ventured into the wilds of the internet of late, you’ve no doubt bumped into someone talking about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and all the newly launched AI tools, such as Open AI’s ChatGPT. In fact, it seems that the AI atom bomb has gone off and we’re all now living in a post-AI world! For those amongst us who have been studying and building AI, this is the latest development in a field that has been hard at work for over 75 years, but the rest of us, we’ve got some catching up to do!
Can you learn AI for free online?
Yes! Luckily, there are A LOT of free online AI courses available to get you started! Now, what it means to “learn AI” depends on who you are and what your goals are. For example, a developer may want to learn how to build AI or may want to build apps using AI, while a marketer, designer, or business owner may just want to learn how to use AI to increase their productivity. No matter your AI goal, we’ve got a course for you!
How long does it take to learn AI?
Again, this will vary entirely based on whether you want to learn to build complex, generative AI models and get into highly technical AI topics like Machine Learning and Computer Vision (which could take months to years), whether you want to build applications on top of AI with a programming language like Python (which could take weeks or months) or to use AI for blog writing or image creation (which could take, literally, a few minutes).
No matter what, our list of free online AI courses has you covered for most of the non-technical and technical AI use cases, below you will find all our top free AI course picks, organized by topic and level of technical skill required. And yes, all of them are self-paced!
Time to do some DEEP learning, as they say. 🤖
Table of Contents
- Non-Technical AI Courses
- Technical Online AI Courses
Non-Technical AI Courses
Intro to AI Courses
1. AI for Everyone from DeepLearning.Ai
This free, non-technical course is taught by Andrew Ng, former Stanford Computer Science professor and leader in both the online education (he co-founded Coursera) and the AI movement. The course is designed “for everyone” and will give you a broad understanding of common AI terms and gain a realistic understanding of what AI can and can’t do.
2. Artificial Intelligence for Humans – AI explained easy from Udemy
If you prefer your introduction to AI served up with a side of Italian accent, check out this course by Gianluca Mauro, an Italian AI educator. In this non-technical course, he attempts to democratize AI by explaining it in terms that anyone can understand.
ChatGPT for Non-Technical People
3. Intro to ChatGPT from Codecademy
This interactive and image based course, Codecademy does a great job of explaining how generative AI is created and what it can be used for by studying the example of ChatGPT. If clicking through steps and looking at illustrations is your thing, you’ll love this course!
4. Introduction to ChatGPT from EdX
If you’re more the “likes to be lectured to by a professor” type, then you’ll love this video-based course from EdX taught by Miguel Amigot, CTO at IBL Education, a generative AI education platform. That said, the focus of this course is on how ChatGPT works and what you can do with it, not the technology that makes it possible.
Additional Free Courses on ChatGPT:
5. ▶️ ChatGPT Tutorial – A Crash Course on Chat GPT for Beginners from FreeCodeCamp
6. Introduction to AI Ethics from Kaggle
This interactive and practice-based course from Kaggle, a free AI course website owned by Google, was designed by Var Shankar, Director of Policy at Responsible AI Institute and Alex Cook a Developer Relations Engineer at Google, and it provides a broad overview of the major concerns of ethics in AI, including human-centered design, bias, fairness, and public accountability. Although this course is accessible to non-coders, it does include some simple exercises written in Python.
7. Welcome to the Ethics of AI from the University of Helsinki
Leave it to the Finns to make us a beautiful online course about a complex and sensitive subject like the ethics of AI. Think short written descriptions and beautiful illustrations paired with helpful quizzes to cement your understanding of some of the fundamental questions of AI ethics including fairness, transparency, accountability and more!
Truly, a sight for sore AIs 🤩
Additional Free Course on AI Ethics:
8. AI Ethics, A Collection of Lectures on the Ethical implications of Data and Artificial Intelligence from Different Perspectives from The Governance Lab at New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering
9. Ethics in AI and Data Science from The Linux Foundation
10. Data Ethics, AI and Responsible Innovation from The University of Edinburgh
11. Bias and Discrimination in AI from IVADO’s International School at the Université de Montréal
Technical Online AI Courses
ChatGPT for Developers
12. ChatGPT Prompt Engineering for Developers from Deep Learning AI
This video and practice based course from DeepLearning.AI is co-taught by Andrew Ng and Isa Fulford, a developer at Open AI (the organization that built ChatGPT). In it they teach prompt engineering for ChatGPT, but specifically for the use case of building applications with ChatGPT, not how to prompt ChatGPT as a layman. The course includes a practice exercise where you actually build a chatbot!
Additional Free Courses on ChatGPT for Developers:
13. ▶️ ChatGPT Course – Use The OpenAI API to Code 5 Projects from FreeCodeCamp
14. ▶️ Getting Started with the ChatGPT API from Udemy
16. 📖 BONUS RESOURCE: Open AI Cookbook
Python + AI
17. Learn the Basics of Python from Learnpython.org
Python is the language most commonly used for AI because of its ease of use, and large collection of open source AI tools and libraries. So if you plan to start working with AI in a professional development environment, then best to learn it! And you know where you can learn Python basics for free? At Learnpython.org of course!
18. Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python from Python-Guide.Org
It’s only fitting that the language named in honor of a British comedy troupe with a cult following, has an online course that teaches Python in the style of another British comedy classic from the 70s: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Get your Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python at Python-guide.org!
Additional FREE Courses on Python & Python for AI:
19. ▶️ Introduction to Programming with Python – Full University Course from Harvard
20. ▶️ Scrapy Course – Python Web Scraping for Beginners from FreeCodeCamp
21. ▶️ Python for Data Science – Course for Beginners (Learn Python, Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib) from FreeCodeCamp
22. ▶️ Data Analysis with Python for Excel Users – Full Course from FreeCodeCamp
23. ▶️ Data Structures and Algorithms in Python – Full Course for Beginners from FreeCodeCamp
24-30. Machine Learning Courses from Google
If you’re a developer, Google has put together a great collection of courses and quick start guides on both introductory and advanced topics in Machine Learning algorithms, including:
26. Problem Framing
Additional Free Courses on Machine Learning:
31. ▶️ Machine Learning for Everybody – Full Course from FreeCodeCamp
32. ▶️ Machine Learning Foundations Course – Regression Analysis from FreeCodeCamp
33. ▶️ No Black Box Machine Learning Course – Learn Without Libraries from FreeCodeCamp
34. Intro to Deep Learning from Kaggle
This heavily technical Kaggle, a free AI course website owned by Google, course dives right into the deep end of deep learning, one of the most exciting areas of Artificial Development. As the intro to the course explains, “Some of the most impressive advances in artificial intelligence in recent years have been in the field of deep learning,” including “natural language processing, image recognition, and game playing.” In this hands-on class you will actually be building your own deep learning model in Python.
Additional Free Online Courses on Deep Learning:
35. Deep Learning Essentials from IVADO, Mila and Université de Montréal
36. ▶️ How Deep Neural Networks Work – Full Course for Beginners from FreeCodeCamp
38. Convolutional Neural Networks for Visual Recognition from Stanford University
This 16 part lecture series (slides included!) is taught by Stanford professors Fei-Fei Li, Justin Johnson, and Serena Young and explores computer vision, which is, as Johnson explains in Lecture #1, the “study of visual data.” And the amount of visual data being uploaded to the internet is growing exponentially in the time it takes you to read this description. Unfortunately, it’s REALLY hard for computers to understand, analyze, and categorize…hence the need for help from Artificial Intelligence!
Additional Free Courses on Computer Vision:
39. Learn Computer Vision from Kaggle
40. ▶️ OpenCV Course – Full Tutorial with Python from FreeCodeCamp
AI for Web Designers & Artists
41. Midjourney 101: Unleash AI for Unique Image Generation from Udemy
This course taught by Diego Davila, an online business strategist, explains how to use Midjourney–the AI image generating tool—to create images for your business or project. He goes over in detail how to build complex Midjourney prompts and how to create different types of image material including websites, logos, and product images (see the sunglasses above).
Additional Free Courses for Web Designers & Artists:
42. How to Monetize Midjourney AI Art : A Beginner Guide from Udemy